Grow Asia Forum 2022 Breakfast Roundtable: Accelerating Climate Finance to Achieve Food Security in Southeast Asia
Please note: this was an in-person only event.
Farmers in Southeast Asia are already feeling the impacts of climate change that has been becoming a major threat to food security. The role of MSMEs in the region is more vital than ever in meeting the growing demands of food productivity and availability. However, the mobilization of investment for inclusive climate-resilient agri-food systems lags other sectors and remains a major barrier to the food-systems transformation. During this session, we will explore (i) the current state of the agriculture climate finance sector, (ii) the motivations and constraints faced by key stakeholders, and (iii) concrete technological options that offer investment opportunities to unlock the economic potential of rural food producers in Southeast Asia. The session is hosted by Grow Asia, jointly sponsored by the Commercial Agriculture for Smallholders and Agriculture (CASA) and the Smallholder and Agri-SME Finance and Investment Network (SAFIN).
The session included 35 senior leaders from various industries, including government, agribusiness, startups, financial institutions, and civil society. The session took place under Chatham House Rules.
|08:15 – 08:20||5 minutes||Welcome and Opening Remarks
▪ Erin Sweeney, Lead, Sustainable Investment & Inclusion, Grow Asia
|08.20 – 08.35||5 minutes||Setting the Context on Climate Finance in the Agriculture Sector
▪ Mathias Hague, Lead Researcher, Commercial Agriculture for Smallholder and Agribusiness (CASA)
|08:35 – 08:55||20 minutes||Lead discussants share on prompted questions (3 minutes each)
▪ Yacinta Esti, Technical Advisor, SME Promotion in ASEAN Project, GIZ
▪ Sanjiv Louis, Investment Director, Southeast Asia, SAIL Ventures
▪ Dr. Prasun Kumar Das, Secretary General, Asia Pacific Rural and Agricultural Credit Association (APRACA)
▪ Shailendra Mishra, Global Head of Climate, Environment, and Natural Capital, Olam Agri
▪ Maya Hari, Chief Executive Officer, Terrascope
|08:55 – 09:25||30 minutes||Interactive discussion led by Facilitator
All delegates will be encouraged to respond/share insights
|09.25 – 09.30||5 minutes||Closing remarks
▪ Michael von During, Technical Specialist, The Smallholder and Agri-SME Finance and Investment Network (SAFIN)
Please note: this was an in-person only event with Chatham House Rules observed.
LEAVE A COMMENT
We welcome your feedback on all CASA events and activities. Please leave any questions or comments below.
Here you can see the list of downloads for the event (click to download)